Another talking point bites the dust.
Courtesy of ABC News:
President Donald Trump and his allies have long insisted that what he calls the “fake dirty dossier” was wholly “responsible for starting the totally and discredited witch hunt” by special counsel Robert Mueller.
But, beginning in July 2016, that so-called “dossier” actually sat for several weeks inside an organized crime unit at the FBI’s New York field office, even as counterintelligence agents in Washington, D.C. – unaware of the new allegations – were already investigating Russian efforts to hijack American democracy.
Trump doubled down on his “dossier” accusation this week, ordering the Justice Department and U.S. intelligence community to release a bigger slice of the classified information used to investigate one of his advisers, New York business consultant Carter Page, insisting again Tuesday that “what will be disclosed is that there was no basis” for the surveillance.
Despite what Trump and like-minded politicians have said, sources told ABC News the “dossier” was plainly not the initial basis for the federal investigation.
This means that Trump is willing to declassify information that could literally put ongoing operations and the lives of FBI agents at risk and it STILL won’t prove what he is so desperate to prove.
And of course, this revelation supports all of the reporting that most of us have read over the last year and a half anyway.
Trump is trying desperately to dredge up enough mud to obfuscate the truth, which only makes him seem more and more guilty every single day.